Thursday, June 29, 2006

an ode to the woman in the pale blue dress

an ode to the woman in the pale blue dress

as i walk along the peninsula
in my dark warm coat,
i admire the sanctity of it all

not life,
no, not that.

rather, its purest elements.
knowledge
nighttime
serenity
self-realization.

the fellow men of mind
and the lovely ladies of light
join me
unknowingly
on this cold distant night.

we are walkers in a world of motorists.

death walks by me
and curtly nods his head.
life holds his arm and smiles at me.
i tip my hat to both.

vengeance and peace argue on a nearby bench
while solititude sits
NO.
not alone. never alone.
but with everything around him
speaking in tones you and i do not hear.
yet we acknowledge
as we must
difference.

a woman in a pale blue dress comes along the path
the wind gently holds her hair to the side
never across her face.
the dress dances
and the shoes glide (they seem to interact with the ground, but really, they don't. you must understand that sound is the most untrustworthy element of all conciousness. even the heart is less deceitful.)
my peripheral catches her
and my mouth slides into a grin
and she stops.

i go for another two feet and decide why not.
i do so as well.
i look to the lady in the pale blue dress
and i see
.

you say to me what you said
the air takes hold of your words mid-flight,
changes them
rearranges them
and presents them to me falsely.

i mouth to her the reality of words
(the fact that they mean nothing)
she nods and silently agrees.

time passes.

we look, we admire, we acknowledge,
we

love.

i remember now
that i've seen you
in my younger days.

your name...
is promise.
not promise, but close...
ahh,
hope.

you'll forgive me for my shocked expression
i've just been robbed of your sight for some time.
you look good.

you take a step forward
i take a step back
and all the elements
stop
and look
to me.

on earth
there is silence
for seventeen seconds.

sound no longer lies and you ask
"why do you reject me?"
my dear,
you'll have to forgive my lack of courteousness.
it is only because of the fact that you are
my
unrequited love.

i shall, for you,
yearn
desire
plead
yell for,
cry at,
and you will take no heed of me and my being.

only now
will i allow you
time.
after the moment
you leave.
you go. and leave me to my ill-fated desires.

you nod and drop a tear.

i pass.

and then the elements give me three seconds where
LIFE
not the mirage
but
LIFE
LIFE
LIFE
sings with

JOY, SUNLIGHT, RAIN, LOVE, DEATH, PAIN, VIRTUE, ANNONYMITY, STRANGERS, KISS, HUG, HOLD, STRENGTH, FLOWERS, WIND, WAVES, SONG, DANCE, WOMAN, MAN, DINNER, PASSION

AND

EVERYTHING
THAT
SHOULD
BE
LIFE
MAKES ITS BRIEF APPEARANCE


and we kiss.
LIFE ends.
life returns.
your piercing look drives itself into my brain
and you wash your hair over me.

and it's us.












then it's you and me.

and then you walk away (notice that she no longer glides)
and i begin to move after only five seconds. (an accomplishment, i assure you)

that's where the story ends.


...
were she real
i still would've kissed her.
were any of these figments real
i'd have kissed them as well.
not just kissed
but held and loved and shaken and entered and climaxed and breathed and become and remained.

you have to understand.

it's not so much about who you kiss;
rather, it's about the fact that you can.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yaseen Ali said...

Wow. I found that really moving and intense; especially loved the part about being "walkers in a world of motorists". Unlike many people I know (who are used the convenience of using a car), I love walking everywhere. It's my form of meditation/spirituality/whatever it is - the time where I formalize my thoughts and values.

Well done.

8:13 PM  
Blogger DL said...

Gorgeous

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home